Ingredients – Boned stuffed turkey thigh with seared breast and chunky ratatouille.
- 1 good sized turkey – skin on
- For the marinaded breasts:
- 6 cloves garlic
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 2 sprigs oregano
- ½ pint good olive oil
- Juice and zest 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the thigh
- Debone the thighs and remove any sinew – butterfly open.
- For the mousse stuffing:
- ½ lb skinless turkey breast ( use the small fillets)
- 1 egg white
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- Chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper
Blitz in a food processor until smooth, then spoon into the thigh bone cavity. Fold the thigh into a sausage and wrap in beaten out bacon ( 8 rashers)
Now wrap into a sausage with several layer of cling wrap and tie the ends. Poach in simmering water for 35 minutes. Remove from the wrap and sizzle on a griddle or in a Traeger for 15 minutes on a high heat until golden all over.
Griddle the strips of marinaded breast until cooked and golden.
For the Ratatouille
- 2 red peppers
- 2 medium zucchinis
- 1 large eggplant
- 4 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
- 2 small onions
- 2 cans of top quality Italian passata ( sieved tomatoes)
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 sprig oregano
- 1 cup Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
Cut the veg into 1 inch pieces
Salt the cubed eggplant and let the water come out for 20 minutes, then pat dry.
Chop the onions into a medium sized dice.
In a heavy skillet fry the eggplant in 1/3 cup of hot olive oil until golden. Now add onions, then zucchini, then peppers, then garlic. Fry well then add more olive oil, the herbs and the tomatoes. Simmer on a low heat for 1 hour. Add salt and pepper to taste. The ratatouille should be rich, oily and fragrant. Its even better on day 2!
Amazing smoked turkey sandwich:
- 2 turkey breasts – marinated in spiced chicken Traeger seasoning and olive oil for 30 mins.
- 1 loaf of the best sliced bread – I like sourdough.
- 2 large dill pickles
- Good mustard
- Peppery salad – watercress is my go to.
- Ripe beef tomatoes
- Salted farmhouse butter.
Wrap the marinaded turkey in foil, then smoke in the Traeger at 250f for 45 minutes.
Remove, then crank up the Traeger to 450 and grill for 10 minutes, brushing with olive oil all the while.
Allow to rest, then build your warm sandwich with plenty of mustard, mayo and dill pickles and peppery salad leaves.